Thursday, July 21, 2016

Simplifying Dinner

Food

Simplifying Dinner

So, in an effort to shed a few more pounds, Mike and I have decided to eat healthy and exercise for a couple of months.  We can’t commit to anything super long-term or a regimen that requires going to the gym several times a week.
We can, however, workout in the garage together for at least 20 min a day after we put the girls to bed or at the very least–do something active each day.  We can also eat foods that are fuel to our bodies. I’m no health expert, so please don’t quote me.  I’m just saying that this works for us.  We did this back in March, and each lost about 15 pounds.  For the most part we’ve kept it off, but now we’re ready to shake things up a bit and lose those last 5-10 pounds.
Here’s what I usually do:
Meal Plan – stock up for the week on food that’s semi-healthy.  My meals look very simple lately. Here’s a typical day:
Breakfast – Special K Cereal and a cup of coffee with creamer.  Nothing crazy, right?!
Snack – Fiber One bar, fruit or veggie (this week I cut up a giant watermelon into bit sized pieces and put it in the fridge in a huge container to snack on).
Lunch – I’ve been doing egg and egg white scrambles lately.  Leaves me feeling healthy and satisfied:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 2 cups raw spinach
  • 1/4 cup Rotel (Can you tell I like spicy?!)
  • sprinkle of Feta Cheese
  • spices
Snack – more fruits/veggies or maybe a low-fat yogurt if I need protein
Dinner – I’ll usually cook up a few chicken breasts or tilapia fillets with a little olive oil and some of my favorite seasonings like: Tony’s Creole Seasoning, Smoked Paprika, and Cayenne Pepper.  In addition to the protein, I’ll make a veggie side–and that’s it!  A large portion of a veggie side mind you.  We aren’t trying to starve here!  Usually, dinners will be very simple (yet flavorful).  Chicken and steamed broccoli with buffalo sauce or Fish and roasted carrots with garlic.  We feel satisfied, but not stuffed. Also… my taste buds don’t do bland, so I have to add those spices!  Not the lowest in sodium, I know, but I try not to use a ton.
Dessert – If you’re like me, sometimes you NEED dessert.  Namely chocolate…  I don’t deprive myself.  I bought a bag of York Peppermint Patties to stash in the fridge and I’ll eat one (or maybe even two) at the end of the day if I’m having that craving.
costco
Stay Active – plan something everyday, even if it’s just going to the park with the kids.  And make yourself do that workout.  Mike plays soccer on Tuesdays, we surf at least once a week (taking turns with the babes).  The other days we’ll do something in the garage or the yard (like circuits).  Base it on your ability level.  If you’re able to walk the neighborhood for 20 min, do it.  Walk briskly to get your heart rate up.  If you feel like you need to run, then go for it!  I’d just alternate cardio with strength exercises.  The main thing is that you’re doing something!
And that’s it!  Like I said, it’s no Whole 30 or 21 day fix, but it works for us and we’ve seen results.  It’s doable.  That’s the bottom line. What’s your favorite healthy go-to-food?

No comments:

Post a Comment