Monday, July 1, 2013

A Bench and a Birthday

Weekends are always nice.  I must admit that it's weird not working during the day.  Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying my summer, but I just don't know what to do with myself some days.  On the weekend Mike is off of work, and we get to enjoy each other's company.  Lately, it has also meant that we can work all day on the house together.  I'm trying to to treasure this time.  Even though we both really want to see the house finished, there's something about doing the work ourselves that makes us all the more appreciative of every little detail.  Our friend Mitchell came over on Friday to help Mike chip up more concrete in the down stairs bathroom.  That evening as we sat outside by the pool and ate dinner; we joked that one day we'll laugh when we think of all the silly things we had to put up with during renovations:  
  • Walking through the temporary walls to get to the kitchen
  • Going to the bathroom with no door (or walls)
  • Stepping over the beast beam in the main room
  • Dodging the giant holes in the concrete

BENCH:  On another subject...I wanted to showcase my latest project.  It really has nothing to do with getting the house move-in ready, but I thought it would be fun.  Out of all the "projects," this is the one I've enjoyed the most to date--my DIY Bench make-over.  Here's my before and after and pictures with a step by step breakdown:

BEFORE: frame in decent shape
AFTER: see below
Most of the bolts looked like this.  
Time to choose a router bit :)
I decided to go with the quarter inch beveled edge.
After I used the router to shape the boards, I sanded them.
Staining is the fun part!  I chose dark walnut Rust-Oleum and exterior satin varnish to help protect against UV rays.  And of course, you can't forget the Coke Zero!  The spray paint was for the frame.
After staining and wiping they had to dry for a bit.
I achieved my desired color in only one coat of stain.
While the stain soaked in, I sanded down the old frame.
Then I painted it.  The bolts were a pain to removed,
but Mike helped me with his angle grinder.
I also painted all the bolts, nuts and washers.
Here it is... all put back together!
I still have to tighten the bolts down, but I'm happy with the outcome.
What do you think?
Nice color, huh?

Anyway, let's move on from that project.  Mike is always working on something.  His projects are usually just NOT as exciting as my projects, hehe.  He was chipping... need I say more?  Here is what he and Mitchell have accomplished so far.  The new plumbing should be reset soon.

My husband LOVES buying new tools :)
Ta...Da...
I know from a brief experience that handling the chipping gun
is a FULL BODY workout :)
BIRTHDAY:  Our friend, Bain, celebrated his 31st birthday on Friday, so we had a pool party BBQ at the house and took a break from work on Sunday.  After all, it is the day of rest :)  Happy Birthday, Bain!!

Some delicious Bratwurst... 
Madden taking a snack break :)
Matea, posing for the camera :)
Jo Jo in action.  The kids had lots of fun!
Then again, so did the adults!  Mike's bank shot.
Things got a little intense.  Nice face, Matt!
No rebound necessary...
I have a much greater respect for people who play water polo.
The boys getting crazy on the goal.
Another action shot.
Overall, it was another great weekend in Makakilo.  Until next time...

2 comments: