Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thankful Thursday

I thought I'd start something new.  I'm going to attempt to update my blog each Thursday giving thanks to God for the blessings he provides.  Sometimes the blessings are disguised as "refining" moments where he molds and shapes us more and more into his image.  These can be painful experiences and pleasant ones.  I hope to record both, and give thanks in all things like the apostle Paul encourages us to do in his letter to the Thessalonians.
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."      -1 Thessalonians 5:17
I'm thankful for:

  • the GOD who loves in spite of our failures and shortcomings
  • the HOPE of eternity through Jesus Christ 
  • a wonderful HUSBAND who supports me in all aspects of life
  • our FAMILIES in Florida and Indiana for raising us and teaching us what's important
  • a CHURCH dedicated to preaching and living out the gospel
  • the opportunity to buy a HOUSE in Hawaii
  • KIM and JORDAN for letting us stay with them while we work on ours
  • FRIENDS who are so willing to help us out each step of the way
  • JOBS that support us financially
  • SISTERS in Christ that live both near and far whom I can confide in and rely on 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been thinking a lot about craftsmanship in this whole house process.  Over the past few months I have become more skilled in using power tools.  Mike is very proud of that fact, and I am too.  Yesterday, I started making a bench for my classroom.  I want to set up a reading station or "nook" for the kids to have alternative places to sit during S.U.R.F. time [Silent Uninterrupted Reading Fun].

As I began to craft this bench, I wanted to make the cuts perfect.  Of course I needed a measuring tape, a chop saw, a steady hand, and a vision.  I needed to know what I wanted this bench to look like, and the purpose that it will serve.  There are several analogies in the Bible that display God as being the creator, master craftsman, and potter.  I was reading in Ephesians this morning about how we are created for his purposes.
"We are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."    -Ephesians 2:10
Just as I desire my bench to serve the purpose of providing seating for my students, God had a plan and purpose in creating each of us.  He rescued us (like distressed wood... which is the craze these days) and crafted each one of us for different purposes.  It wasn't because we already looked good on our own; we CANNOT boast in that.  He saved us from the landfill.  He took something seemingly dead and useless, and made us worthy vessels.  He created us for good works, so let's walk in them!!  (Eph. 2:8-10)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different note, I had a little fun busting up some tile yesterday while Mike was asleep.  He's been working nights these past few weeks and sleeping during the day.  I thought I'd share a few pictures.  Enjoy!  The tile is almost gone.  We took three loads to the dump... which is what got me thinking about landfills and craftsmanship in the first place.


Just call me "tile buster"
Bruised and battered knees... even with knee pads!
Got a little carried away... busting tile with a sledge hammer is rather therapeutic :)
Battle wound, but SOOOOOOO worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment