Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thankful Thursday

I have so much to be thankful for today.

First off, I'm feeling much better than I did the past three days.  I was fighting a fever, an allergic reaction to an unknown source, a scratchy throat, a headache and chest congestion.  After going in the ocean yesterday, taking medicine consistently, and sleeping for about 14 hours straight the night before, I think I've rounded the corner. Praise GOD!

I'm thankful for:

  • Modern medicine that reduce painful things like a fever
  • Friends that I can share life with
  • Children, and the happiness & energy they bring 
  • The summer, and a job that allows me to enjoy it fully
  • REST and A/C
Yesterday morning I went to Waimea with Robbie, Raquel, Neil and the boys.  It was a lot of fun, and just what the doctor ordered for my sickness--fresh air and salt water!  The boys had a blast as usual.  They were quite the jumpers.  Once they started jumping off the rock, they didn't want to stop!  

Asher had to wear goggles like his brother, even though he's scared of the water.
Maybe next time Ash.
Ez thinking about who to bomb with his sand ball.
Maddox preying on the easy target--Asher.
Ezekiel about to jump from the rock!!
Then, at 5:00pm, Uncle Frank, Aunty Tam and Jared brought the NPC youth over to the house for a pool/pizza party.  It was a wonderful day; the only hiccup was when a police officer came and told us we couldn't park on the road in our cul-de-sac.  I'm pretty sure it means someone from our neighborhood called the cops on us, and that makes me sad.  All the neighbors seem super nice, and I thought everyone liked us.  Oh well.

The girls didn't last long in the pool.  It's pretty cold!
Not sure what game this was...
Uncle Frank was exhausted, haha.
Chicken fight.
The Winners!
Pastor Mike talked about our hope in a BIG God last Sunday.  I think it's awesome that the only reason we know LOVE is because he first loved us.  We are able to love because God our father modeled it for us by sending Jesus to suffer his wrath in our stead.  [1 John 4:7-12].  That's why I think modeling and teaching by example is so important.  I am intrigued by the fact that we can't do anything to earn God's favor.  It seems so foreign.  Everything in our culture tells us that in order to be accepted, well-liked, loved, or promoted we must meet a benchmark or quota.  It tells us that me must measure up to a specific standard.  Then, and only then, will we receive the prize,the admiration, the praise, the bonus paycheck.  

It's only natural that we would carry over this thought process to our relationship with Christ, but the beauty of the gospel is that there's nothing we can do to be accepted by him.   There's nothing we can say or think that will make God like us more than he already does.  We simply acknowledge him as our savior and trust him with our life.  I like this quote by pastor Mike Ohara:  
"We are saved by grace for God's glory expressed through good works.  It's not a balance of grace and works.  It's ALL grace.  Works is a by-product of grace."
So, I'm thankful for grace too.  Without it, I'd be dead in my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment