Monday, July 15, 2013

Manic Monday

I don't really think it's a manic Monday, the song by the Bangles just popped into my head for some reason.  Anyway, it was another fun and productive weekend!  We worked on the house A LOT, but we also got to spend time at the beach with friends from church and enjoyed a nice evening with the Tau'as. 

Pastor Mike spoke from Psalms chapter 51 this week, and I felt like it was just what I needed to hear.  
"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."  Psalm 51:10-12
Does the JOY of your salvation need to be restored?  Mine did.  God used these verses to stir my heart and draw me back to himself.  Thank you, Jesus!

Anyway, before I get to the pictures and house progress, I just wanted to give another shout out to all the people who have been so helpful and giving--their time, their money, their home--we are so grateful and extremely blessed.  We hope to use our finished home to bless others in return.  Be ready!

SATURDAY Workers:
  • Drew
  • Jordan
  • Mitchell
  • Ben
  • Matt, Jamie & Family
SATURDAY Accomplishments:
  • Installed the Big Boy Beam!!
  • Removed temporary walls
  • Concreted the downstairs bathroom floor
  • Finished trimming front bathroom window
  • Started chipping the downstairs tile
  • Installed Durock to upstairs master bath
  • SOLD the sauna!
Court and Cam cruising in the van ;)
Madden with his biggest "cheese"
Party in the front, far AWAY from the construction zone!

Everyone was giving Jordan a hard time about the first cut.
Mitchell made it clear whose cut this was, haha.
He had the chance to redeem himself...
but then Ben couldn't resist.  I think he said something
to the effect of  "Let the Amish do the cutting..."
This was the "platform" that was created.  The original plan was to
move the beam up slowly and keep it stabilized as it got hoisted higher.
Mike "skillfully" cutting the joist.  (see what I did there?)
As you can see, the joist cuts had to be exactly precise to fit the 400 lbs beam.
 We didn't want to leave any room for error, so the guys used
the 2 ft piece they cut off to measure before they lifted.
The inspection shot ;)
Here's Jordan testing the last few cuts. We ended up scratching
the idea of"little by little" and they lifted it all at once.
Ben with the support post, and Jamie trying to get a better look.
This is the bracket the post had to sit it.  We poured the concrete
 last week and set the bracket in the cement.
Obviously, my assistance was needed in putting the beam up,
so I wasn't able to capture any pictures of that endeavor.  But here's one of the
beam up and the guys checking to make sure it's level.
We left some marks.  I also wrote some scripture on the other side, but forgot to take pictures.
Nice art Mitch.
Some more priceless artwork.
Say no more.
Upside down.
Beam installed with no Simpson ties.  Glad it's finally up!!!
Jordan installing the Simpson ties... making it secure.
Temporary walls coming down!
View from the kitchen side (and Mitchell's tile job)
Nice work guys, the open concept looks AMAZING!
(or it will once all the busted up tile is gone)
Plumbing is almost done on this bath.  Time to fill in!
Concrete action.
Leveling off the Concrete.
Looks great!
Time for a lunch break!
Yum!
I sold the Healthmate... Woooooo...
View from inside the sauna.
Drew's Durock work in the master bath.
Cleaning up.
Started the work day with a" heavy" beam, and ended with a "light" beam from all the dust :)
A better angle :)
What a great day of accomplishments!!  Now it's final decision-making time... ahhhhh.  How will everything be laid out:  kitchen island, cabinets, appliances, lighting, toilets, vanities, counter tops, tiles, carpet, and paint colors!  Fun, fun, fun!

Thanks again for reading...  Mike and I are super excited to get moved in to our new place.  It's coming along wonderfully!
 

1 comment:

  1. Im ready for this saturday!!! Aug 31st Gameday/ House warming party... but u have to wear ND apparel to get in!!! GO IRISH

    ReplyDelete