Saturday, October 8, 2016

Playroom Height Board

Projects

Playroom Height Board

pinnable-height-board
The playroom is a project I’ve been slowly working on over the last several months.  The toys were becoming a problem downstairs in our living area, and the clutter was driving me bonkers!  That’s another issue altogether.  I’ve got some downsizing work to do.  Our home is just about 1,500 square feet, so not huge.
I like the idea of the girls having a space where they can go to play with each other.  I’ll still need to be careful that we don’t have too much “stuff” up there, but for now it’s a great space that works well for us.
There were several mini-projects that I wanted to work on before I considered the playroom finished.  I made the DIY signs, but also wanted some other things.

For Example:

  • a height board
  • updated picture collages
  • small pennant flags
  • a teepee
In this post, I’ll feature the height board and how I made it!  Here’s what you’ll need:

Supplies:

  • 1 x 6 x 8 inch pine board  (from home improvement store)
  • sander
  • white paint
  • vinyl decals
  • nail gun (for mounting)
  • nail putty

Step 1:

Purchase board and sand smooth.  I slightly sanded the edges so it wouldn’t give the littles any splinters.
board

Step 2:

Paint board the color of your choice.  I’ve seen a lot of these with the natural wood stain, but I didn’t think it would fit the decor of the playroom, so I went with white. I did two or three thick coats to (hopefully) ensure it’ll stay white… even if little fingernails start picking at it.
img_2970

Step 3:

Apply decals.  So, I saw these cute vinyl decals on Pinterest/Etsy and decided to order them.  The tick marks worked great, but I actually ordered the wrong sized numbers.  I wanted the jumbo ones, but instead accidentally ordered the small ones 🙁  Luckily, I have a friend with a Cricut who was willing to help me out.  Thanks C.
img_2972
img_2973
This is how mine ended up without the numbers.  Since my friend was willing to help out with the numbers, I asked if I could make a little custom heading for the top.  Cricuts are dangerous you guys!  It’s waaaaaay too easy to get carried away!  After hours of deliberation, I finally made a font decision and we printed the numbers and custom heading out.  Putting them on was pretty easy.
img_2989

Step 4:

Put the final touches of vinyl on.   I decided not to do clear top coat, though I may regret that later… Finally, enjoy the final product.  You can check out how it looks in an upcoming post on the playroom as a whole.  Thanks for reading!  Have you ever worked with vinyl or a Cricut?  I’d love to hear from you and see some of the things you’ve done.  Leave a comment or send me an email 🙂
img_4151
Have a blessed weekend!

April 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment