Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Judging by a Snapshot



Faith

Judging by a Snapshot


I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the idea of being judged. We’re all guilty of it… and we’ve all been on the receiving end.
What got me thinking about it was when I talked to a mom at the park a few weeks ago.  I had seen her a few times over the last several months.  She is new to the island and her husband is in the restaurant industry at a new resort that just opened.  She even came to a couple of our MOMS Clubs events, but never joined.
When I saw her this last time, I think she remembered I was from the club.  She said, “You’re in that MOMS Club, right?  Yeah, after that last meeting, I decided not to join.  I don’t need the drama.”
Wow.
I’m not gonna lie, her comment felt like a punch in the gut for a few seconds.
The last thing I consider MOMS Club to be is dramatic. To be fair though, she did come on a day when we discussed some club business. Thinking back… I do remember things getting a little heated during the discussion.  But that’s all it was.  A short discussion which led to a vote.  Then the issue was resolved.
It’s wild to me to think that this woman’s lasting impression of our club was that we are “full of drama.”
It happens so often though, doesn’t it?!  We see someone and judge them based on what they wear or how they speak or what they drive. We judge based on a snapshot. 
It’s part of our culture.  Looks\\Talent\\Swag.  That’s what we crave.  And we’ve all seen the TV shows… American IdolThe VoiceAmerica’s Got Talent, etc.  These contestants have one chance to persuade the judges that they are worthy of stardom. It happens in society, and it’s widely accepted… Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tinder — judging others on a snapshot (literally).
So here’s where the Bible comes in.  These are the words of Jesus in Matthew chapter 7:
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”
My Take-Aways:
1. Don’t judge others based on a snapshot.  Even good and kind-hearted people have bad days. If someone is ticking you off, just remember that they may have had a worse morning than you.  They may have more trying circumstances than you.  Worse still–they may not know Christ and his peace that is all encompassing.
2. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.  It’s easy to see the flaws in others.  Take your spouse for example…  It’s so easy to find areas in which you think they could be more _____________________. But what about you?  What could you be doing to ease tensions or serve others?
3. Be thankful that God doesn’t judge you on a snapshot of your life. Man, am I grateful for this one.  You and I mess up on a daily basis.  I blow off friends, get silently frustrated with my husband, make selfish decisions, get irritated with my kids and act entitled.  I’m glad God doesn’t take a random picture of my life then use it to decide my future.  Thankfully, my good deeds aren’t what save me (Titus 3:5). God sees me in those moments when I make self-serving decisions and loves me in spite of my sinful tendencies. His desire is that I would shed that old skin and clothe myself in his perfection. I’m so thankful that it’s God’s work which saves me and spurs me toward repentance and righteousness. Ask God to help you honor him by living a life of obedience. Remember that we are capable of loving him and others only because he loved us first (1 John 4:7-8).
And finally…
4. Give grace freely to others — even when you don’t think they deserve it.  Because we have been given an abundance of grace (good we don’t deserve), and been shown an incredible about of mercy (not getting the punishment we do deserve), let us not judge others by a snapshot.  Let’s show grace and encouragement.  Instead of watching people trip and fall, then going on our way… let’s help them up and walk alongside them!
Colossians 3:12
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment