Thursday, October 13, 2016

Girls’ Playroom

Projects

Girls’ Playroom

pinnable-playroom-final
Are you looking for some inspiration? Want to do a variation of the typical pink playroom? I love these muted tones so much! Ours has come together quite nicely.  I admit there’s probably too much stuff in there already, but it seems to be working and [for now] everything has a place.
Most of the things my girls have are either hand-me-downs, craigslist-type purchases, or gifts from loved ones.  I can probably count on one hand the things I’ve actually bought them myself [especially new things].
Part of me wants to be that mom who only has five toys for her kids, but it’s just not me.  Maybe one day I can put my hording days behind me.  But for now, I just embrace the chaos.
When I first decided to transform the guest bedroom into a playroom, it took me a while to decide what I wanted to do.

Five Things that Helped Me in this Process:

1. Use what you have. I knew I didn’t have much of a budget, so I had to use what I knew I had on hand.  I happened to have all of the curtains already, so I based the color scheme off of that.
2. Let it evolve.  You might not have the entire vision in the beginning.  That’s ok.  Sometimes ideas change. Toys come and go. Kids grow out of things. You don’t have to get it all done at once.  Set up something temporary and see how it goes.
3. Try something new. For me, that new thing was a teepee.  I thought it would be fun to make, but I also knew they’d enjoy it for a long time!
4. Organize.  Even if there’s clutter, at least it will be organized clutter.  Make sure everything has a place.  Believe it or not, my two year old enjoys playing more when things are put away and the room is clean.
5. Make the space fun and inviting. Making it fun for my girls means mommy playing with them in the room from time to time. Other times it means playing music for them to listen to.  Sometimes it means having twinkle lights 🙂


Here’s how the room itself has transformed over time. Below is a shot from our first walk-through before buying the house.
dsc02469
The shot below is also before we owned it.  The previous owner  let us come in and clean the carpets and spruce things up to ensure the inspection would go through and better our chances of getting approved for a loan.  It seemed futile at the time to shampoo the carpets when we knew we’d rip them up if the bank approved us… but you gotta do what you gotta do! They actually came semi-clean, but the thought of someone else’s carpet (and it was D-I-R-T-Y) in our bedrooms just grossed me out.
dsc02631
Below, my friend and after we finished scraping the popcorn ceiling!
dsc02803
Another shot of the room after the carpet was ripped out.
dsc02734
I thought I had a shot of the guest bed from this angle, but I can’t seem to find it.  Below, you can see the carpet down, the curtains up and some random decor.
IMG_2520
And FINALLY… the finished playroom from the same angle!
img_4198
Here are some other same angle shots.  First, the nook.

dsc02635
IMG_2522
img_2643
img_4203
Next, the closet.

This shot was before we owned it, but after we cleaned the carpet.
dsc02632
Here’s without the bed.  My make-shift closet doors 🙂
IMG_2524
The bed and closet.
IMG_2429
Real closet doors, and just a few stuffed friends 😉
img_4197
Finally, some more shots of the decor.  See how I made each with these links:

Projects:


img_3577
img_4188
img_3575
img_3427
img_4182
img_2518
pinnable-height-board
Are you feeling inspired yet?!  I hope so…

April 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment