Thursday, March 27, 2014

Spring Break, part 2 (Adventures in Sewing)


Spring Break is progressing nicely.  I have enjoyed my time to far and feel very accomplished!  I have several updates, but this post will only address one.

Since Mike was busy working on the living room trim, I started a project of my own.  My friend, Esther, let me borrow her sewing machine on Sunday!  She brought it over and we got to chat and catch up with each other.  It was a nice visit.  She showed me how to make quick and easy pillow covers (which I've been wanting to do for a while now).  It turned into a whole week process rather than a one day thing.  I started the first two on Sunday night and finished up this morning (Thursday).  It's been very easy, enjoyable, and rewarding. 


The fabric wasn't cheap.  Walmart let me down on that end, but I figure since I can take them off and on to wash them, then it should be worth the money.  I used a nice paisley(ish) design that matches the living room curtains for the front, and khaki looking muslin for the backing.  $7.94 a yard for the design pattern, and $4.88 for the khaki. 

I had a total of eight pillows to cover--three small and five larger ones.  Here's how it went down:

First, I needed a sewing machine... thanks Esther!

Next, I cut the back fabric just a little bigger than the pillow itself.
I folded the side that I'd stitch, then...

I ironed it.

Then I sewed a simple stitch on the ironed portion.

Next, I laid out the fabric I planned to use for the front.  Good side facing up.

I made sure that it was about the size of the
existing pillow, so it'd fit nice and snug.

Next, I laid the half sheet of backing (good side facing down)
on top with the stitch toward the middle section.

Then I did the same thing with the other half piece and pinned it.

Here's the fun part once it's all pinned... sew all the way around the square!
I just used one simple stitch about a quarter inch from the edge of the fabric.
The good news is that it doesn't have to be exact since it gets turned inside out anyway :)

Now flip it!

Voila!

And there you have a simple (and removable) pillow cover!

Here's the pillow stuffed inside.

And the back, for easy removal.

I did the same thing for some small pillows I had as well.   This is all of them together.

I'm loving blues and tans for some reason!

My final picture.  I just love the way these look and match my living room!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment