Thursday, March 2, 2017

30 Days Sans Sugar

Food Random

30 Days Sans Sugar

 It’s my first day back to sugar, and I’m not gonna lie… this girl is pretty excited!  I am also more aware of what my body feels like without consuming large amounts of it Every. Single. Day.  A dark chocolate Dove Bar is waiting for me after lunch, but that’s beside the point.
After the holidays and all of our crazy travel adventures with two toddlers, I went into a downward spiral of eating everything in sight.  I had gained about 5-7 pounds from December to January.  I remember in mid-January, I made a pan of fudge for a mom’s event. Nobody had any.  So over the course of three days, I ate the ENTIRE pan. Seriously, I felt awful–emotionally and physically.  I was getting headaches every day in the afternoons and had zero energy to get my butt up and moving. That’s when I decided something had to change.
The month of February seemed perfect. Mike was working a weird shift with weird hours and it was a short month, so I decided to go for it!
I set my parameters, and stocked up on fresh fruits and veggies. I debated doing the Whole30, but decided I didn’t want to cut out dairy and legumes.  Instead, I cut out larges amounts of sugar and most grains (although I still ate corn).  I wasn’t crazy strict on sugars in things like salsa or salad dressings, but absolutely no flagrant fouls.  Also, in the beginning I didn’t allow honey, agave, or other sweeteners like Splenda.  At first, I didn’t even eat super sweet dried fruits–like raisins or cranberries.  I got less strict, however, as the weeks went on.
If you know me, you know that sweets are my vice. So cutting out dessert was huge!  Also, I haven’t had a headache all month!  I’m still tired in the afternoons, but I’m guessing that’s normal when you have a one and two year old running you ragged 🙂  The first two weeks were rough, but about the third week I started exercising and not craving sugar any more.  
I started on January 30th and went through February 28th.  I lost about 8 pounds, 2 inches from my waist and 1 inch from my hips. Nothing huge, but my clothes fit much better again!  I’m feeling great and very happy I did it.
In my next post, I’ll share a few of my favorite recipe ideas that I discovered during this journey.  They not only kept me sane, but curbed my cravings for sugar as well.  Some I made up, others I stole from the internet.
Here’s a sample (recipes to come):
-Egg White Frittata
-3 Ingredient Flourless Banana Pancakes 
-Chocolate Protein Shake
-Flourless Chocolate Mug Cake
-Cocoa Fig Balls
-Egg Muffin Cups

No comments:

Post a Comment