Saturday, March 18, 2017

Frazzled Friday

Faith Family

Frazzled Friday

Fridays get me excited. Excited for the weekend, excited to have hubby home, excited for adventure, excited to have a little bit of a break from dealing with the kids by myself all day, and excited about spending family time with my little pack.  I usually get more excited if we have some type of a plan and something to look forward to, but even if we don’t I’m still glad the weekend is here.  
Typically, we do something fun on Friday mornings to get us through to nap time, then we’re super stoked to see dad when he get’s off in the early afternoon. Today was a field trip to a horse rescue. I’ll have to post pics another day.
But if I’m honest… oftentimes by Friday, I feel pretty frazzled.  
Fridays used to be the night when we went out to dinner with our friends, or stayed up late watching a movie. Maybe talking story around a bonfire, or burning the midnight oil surrounded by friends.  Now, it’s the night we are the most exhausted.  When the burdens of the week seem to come to a head and we can finally breathe. And though we sometimes will stay up to watch a show together, more times than not, one or both of us will fall asleep on the couch in an attempt to make it past 9:30.  I guess that’s one sign of old age, and a reminder of a week in which we both worked hard.  Thank God for weekends and rest; for the mundane and the extraordinary. When we’re tired, it’s easy to be short with those we love.  Sally Clarkson said it best in a recent blog post: 
“I have always told my children that it is natural to be selfish, defensive, argumentative, full of pride, but it is supernatural to be mature, loving and patient, humble. Jesus disciplines us that we might conform to His image. He is the model for unconditional love, patience, self-sacrifice, forgiveness, encouragement, humility.”

That’s why I wanted to start a new weekly blog post:  Frazzled Friday

  • I want to acknowledge God’s sovereignty in all things {even when I don’t feel him at work}
  • I want to revel in the beauty of our blessings {even when I’m frazzled and frayed}  
  • I want to focus on the positives of the week {even when the negatives could easily outweigh them}
  • I want to beg for the Holy Spirit’s guidance as I attempt to walk in holiness {especially when I’m at my whit’s end}
  • I want to serve–again and again–those whom God has placed in my life {even when I might feel justified in demanding ME time}
I just started reading this new book called Glimpses of Grace by Gloria Furman. I’m only a few chapters in, but whew… there are some awesome reminders within its pages. She talks about how we glorify God in the mundane areas of life–especially #momlife. Here’s a sample: 
“I already believed Scripture, as it extols the role of a homemaker as worth tremendous value. I had no problem seeing homemaking as meaningful in light of eternity. Eternal perspective? Got it. But what about today? How is today included in the scope of eternity? […]
Whether I ought to make my goal glorifying God in everything was not in question. I knew that living for his glory is to be my greatest joy. My problem was simply howHow can I fold laundry and settle sibling squabbles to God’s glory when I am so prone to failure because of my sin? Howdoes the gospel make me into a woman who scrubs toilets or wipes runny noses heartily as for the Lord? How does the gospel make me into a woman who cares about honoring God in the way I fold laundry and serve dinner? How does my citizenship in heaven (Phil. 3:20) change how I manage my home? […]
I can do all these things as unto the Lord as my heart is satisfied in God because his kindness to me in Christ leads me to repentance again and again.”
Frazzled Friday is meant to remind us (me and you) that we aren’t in this alone.  Our service doesn’t go unnoticed, if it’s done unto the Lord. You are doing kingdom work. So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (1 Cor. 10:31)  Yes, there IS a future hope, but we’re called to more than simply waiting on Heaven. Let us live in light of eternity right where he’s placed us.  
Remember that truth as you make a plan for dinner tonight, as you serve your family and clean the kitchen.  As you fight the back-arch to get jammies on, as you brush those teeth one more time and read that bed time story AGAIN. As your tired body starts yet another load of laundry and picks up the scattered toys, or wakes every hour to the hungry or gassy cries of your newborn.
Don’t live in guilt or condemnation because you don’t measure up.  Christ was perfect for you.  And don’t let yourself revel in your own glory because you think you have it all together either.  Let the glory be God’s!
Happy Weekend Everyone

April 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment