Sunday, March 5, 2017

Fig Bites


Food

Fig Bites


If you read my last few posts, I talked about how I (mostly) cut out refined sugars for 30 days. During the last two weeks, I slowly allowed myself to have “dessert”.  I was trying to keep the Whole30 mindset of not creating substitutes for dessert, but after two weeks of being really strict with myself, I decided that “naturally” dried fruit would be ok. It was basically an experiment of willpower more than anything.  I found that I have some, but not a whole lot 🙂
I did some Pinterest searching, but it seemed that most recipes I found called for Medjool dates.  While they’re really good, I wanted something with a little more texture.  I found this recipe, and I tweaked it just a bit using fig instead of dates.
These little guys really hit the spot.  I found myself snagging them all times of the day–right when I woke up, before a workout, and after dinner.  A batch will last me several days!  
They have unsweetened cocoa powder, and mixed with the natural sweetness of the figs, they sure did the trick for me!  As always, you can add in different ingredients to make it your own as long as you keep the ratios the same.  This last time I made them I did half figs, half raisins.  Surprisingly, they were easy to roll into balls.  They were not, however, very easy for my dinky food processor to mix.  I bought a Goodwill special a few years back and it doesn’t have much power!  Hopefully yours is better than mine.

Step 1:  Gather your ingredients.

  • 1 cup dried figs
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup coconut
  • 1/4 cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-2 tablespoons water

Step 2:

Remove the stems from the figs, put all ingredients except water into the food processor.  Pulse for 2-3 minutes until it starts becoming a fine pulp.


Step 3:

Add in one tablespoon of water and continue mixing. It should be a paste. Add more water if needed, mix once more.

Step 4:

Roll into one inch balls and refrigerate.
Let me know what you think.  These are currently my favorite treat!

Fig Bites
Yields 20
A fig version of healthy cocoa brownie bites!
Write a review
Print
Prep Time
15 min
Total Time
15 min
Ingredients
  1. 1 cup dried figs, stem removed
  2. 1/2 cup almonds
  3. 1/2 cup walnuts
  4. 1/4 cup coconut
  5. 1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
  6. 1 teaspoon vanilla
  7. 1-2 tablespoons water
Instructions
  1. After removing the stems from figs, put all ingredients except water into the food processor.
  2. Pulse for 2-3 minutes until it starts becoming a fine pulp.
  3. Add in one tablespoon of water and continue mixing. It should be a paste.
  4. Add more water if needed, mix once more.
  5. Roll into one inch balls and refrigerate.
Notes
  1. This mixture can be very sticky, and my food processor didn't handle it well. I found that by cutting the figs into smaller pieces before putting them in helped a bit. Also, doing the figs first then adding the nuts helped as well.
Adapted from Healthy Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment