Thursday, June 13, 2013

Start of Summer

This school year has been very trying on many different levels.  I am so thankful that it has come to an end and I can start fresh again in August.  I felt as though my last two units were triple speed, but we made it through!  For 6th grade, we read The Giver; for 7th grade, we read The Outsiders.

Some of my wonderful colleagues:  Sabine and Cami
Our Unit Questions for English
There is still a lot to do for next year as I'm teaching a new course, but I'm confident that all will be well.  So many changes are happening:  admin, faculty, rooms, schedule, accreditation, and student body.  I need to take a few weeks where I don't think about

I have big plans this summer to work on the house and surf A LOT.  I went out to White Plains yesterday and had so much fun in the water!  It reminded me of when I first got to Hawaii, surfing all the time.  School has had me cooped up, and on the weekends I've been working on the house for the past few months.  It was nice to be out in the sun and ocean...  

Oh, White Plains (sigh)...
As far as the house goes, it has been an uphill battle.  Mike went to order the giant beam from Hardware Hawaii on Monday and received some really BAD news.  Although he had double and triple checked how long it would take to have the beam ready (2-3 days since it's manufactured on island), when he went in to purchase it they told him it would be more like 4 weeks!  Yikes!  Mikey was NOT a happy camper.  Thankfully, we were able to find another lumber yard that stocked this type of beam.  It will be delivered tomorrow evening!  

Geli sleeping on the job site BEFORE the wall came out!
Wall Demo
This wall will eventually come completely out, but we have
to get the beam in place since it's a load bearing wall.  The beam
will stretch across the entire opening, and weigh nearly 500 lbs.



 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment