Thursday, June 20, 2013

Just another day in paradise...

Well, we spent another late night at the house again.  Mike almost got epoxy in his eye, and I nicked my leg with the shovel.  The sun going down is our cue to leave, but sometimes we just don't take the hint.

The yard is coming along; slow, but steady.  Here are a few before and current pictures.  We have a long way to go... but hey, it's a start!


May 2012:  Grass totally dead (when we first looked at the house)
June 2013:  Grass coming back!  (house is ours, but we're not moved in yet)
May 2012:  dead grass and no pool
June 2013:  grass is coming in and we have a working POOL!
The start of my oasis... a girl's gotta start somewhere :)
My Plumeria is blooming!
So purdy :)
The footings are almost ready for inspection.  Mike spent most of the day yesterday drilling the holes for the rebar and prepping the footing for cement.  He set up a nice hanging contraption that he's pretty proud of :)

Mike hanging rebar and epoxying it into the existing slab.
Look at my handsome hardworking hunk :)
[My English students would have appreciated the alliteration...]
Another little thing I'm working on is the back corner.  This is more than just weeding, folks!  I had to dig out the roots of this awful plant.  I was getting very angry; hence, the attack of the shovel on my leg.  I found a few treasures in the process though:  an extension cord, and an 8 plug outlet timer. 

My nemesis.
I still have to do the finishing touches of course, but this shot was literally taken in the dark.
Let's rewind a bit.  Before all the house work, I actually had an eventful morning.  I think I drove yesterday more than I have in a while on this island.  I went hiking with my friend, Emily, so I picked her up from Mililani (stop 1).  We then drove to St. Louis Heights for a little hiking excursion (stop 2).  We didn't do anything extreme, but it was so nice to be up in the mountains in the brisk air.  It was a nice ridge hike [Wa'ahila].  Emily and I decided to head to Kahala for lunch at The Counter, a build-your-own-burger place (stop 3).  I dropped her back off in Mililani (stop 4), and met Mike in Waikele (stop 5).  We left for the house but forgot the keys, so had to go back to Waikele (stop 6).  We made it to the house and switched vehicles to take a load to the dump.  We finally got rid of the jet tub!  After leaving the landfill (stop 7), we headed to Home Depot/Target/Costco (stop 8).  Back at the house, Mike realized he got the wrong bit to drill a hole in the concrete.  So, back to Home Depot (stop 9).  After working way too long, we finally drove back to Waikele to crash (stop 10)!

Emily, queen of the ridge :)
Beautiful view of town...
Gettin' my hike on.
Another lovely shot of the valley and town.
Hikers.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment