Saturday, July 27, 2019

The Kindness of a Mirror


Have you ever glanced at a mirror after a long day and been shocked by what you saw looking back at you? A couple of weeks ago, we went to McDonalds with some close family friends after an afternoon at the beach. My friend came back from the bathroom shocked that I didn't tell her about the sand that lined her entire neck. I laughed because it really was a lot once she pointed it out, but to be honest, I didn't even see or notice it.  Then when I came back from the bathroom, I asked her how she let me leave the beach with such crazy hair.  I'm talking Medusa level crazy--saltwater, windblown, static electricity all combined.  

Sometimes even the best of friends fail to notice our shortcomings. We may see something in someone else that seems a little off, but oftentimes we're so self-focused that we can't pinpoint what it is.  Usually though, good friends will let us know when they see something seriously wrong.  Maybe not sand or hair issues, but real heart issues--depression, struggle, isolation, distance, judgement or gossipy tendencies.  Proverbs 27:17 says "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Let's be those friends who tell one another when they need to look in the mirror. Let's BE those friends who point one another back to the Gospel that we so often forget or neglect. And let's NOT BE those friends who get defensive when someone does point us to the mirror! Let us welcome the truth that is spoken in love. We humans are flawed, and we'll never quite get it right on this side of heaven, but it's a good reminder to keep your eyes open for ways to encourage and sharpen those around you. Speak the truth in love.

I hope I never forget that it's the kindness of the Lord that leads me to repentance. God's kindness has lead me to the understanding of the grossness of my sin and my need for repentance, but ultimately my need for a Savior.  Though it doesn't always seem kind, it truly is the kindness of God that tells me to look in the mirror. To see my sin and turn from it.  

"Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?" Romans 2:4


No comments:

Post a Comment