Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day


Today, we celebrate our mothers.  Whether it be our birth mothers, aunties, grandmothers, women who helped raise or mentor us, or perhaps mothers "in Christ," we honor you today for your love and sacrifice!   

I thought I'd share a story about my mom since I can't be with her on this special day.  One of the greatest memories I have of my mother is her in the kitchen--Baking.  I know it's hard these days with her gluten intolerance, but she taught me so many recipes.

She knew I liked to bake and create special things.  So much so, that for my 6th grade birthday party guess what we did?  That's right, each of the girls I invited to my sleepover (at my grandma's house) got to decorate their very own mini cake.  She had all of the decorating tools set out, and the tips we would need to change our designs.  She had made butter cream frosting the night before and let US decorate our cakes however we wanted.  She taught me how to refill the frosting bag without making a mess, and how to hold it at just the right angle to create the desired shape.

At 12 years old, mom always knew best.  It wasn't until those teenage years where I started to question her judgement.  Now, as an adult, I see how quickly one can become a parent.  Even though I don't have any children yet, many of my friends do.  There are no instructions that come with raising a child, no guide book or "how to" pamphlet.  Moms do the best they can with what they're given.  

I'm thankful that my mom had some wonderful people in her life when I was born.  I've heard the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" and I think that's so true.  Community is important, and so is a church family.  I'm thankful for my mom.  Even though we butted heads at times, I'm thankful for her wisdom and generosity.  These are just a few things I've learned from my earthly mother!  I LOVE YOU, MOM...


No comments:

Post a Comment