Friday, April 3, 2015

Free to Struggle

Hallelujah! We are free to struggle. We're not struggling to be free...

As I've watched my daughter learn to walk these past couple of weeks, I have been inspired by her progress.  We don't learn to walk in one fell swoop.  It's a process.  It's a struggle.  First, she stood with support, and then she started standing without support.  Next, she'd try a step, fall down and revert to crawling... then she'd try again.  She still falls often, but now she's taking multiple steps on her own.  She's learning to master art of walking, by taking baby steps (literally).

Watching her got me thinking about my spiritual walk.  Oftentimes, I revert back to crawling in the sense that I feel comfortable with it.  I don't want to struggle, so I do what I know.  I keep to myself, don't offer a helping hand, don't mention my faith in Christ to others, and don't acknowledge his presence in my life.  I do what's easy--crawling.  Now, I know that's not what saves me.  Obviously, Christ did that work.  Today, Good Friday, is the day we recognize that very fact.  But I feel like he desires more from us if we're able to give it.  Why crawl, when you're capable of walking?    

These lyrics from the band, Tenth Avenue North, encouraged me this morning. The beauty of trying is that we're not struggling for our freedom, but we're taking steps of faith because that's what God has called us to do.  We may fall.  We may trip.  We may even struggle in this life.  But thank the Lord we're not struggling to earn our salvation--God already covered that.  

You are free to struggle as you walk out your faith!  Take risks.  Step outside your comfort zone every now and then.  Share someone else's burden.  Just remember that you're free to struggle, you're just not struggling to be free.

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."  -Luke 12:28


Happy Easter.  He has risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment