Thursday, May 31, 2018

Dumpster Divin’ DIY

Projects

Dumpster Divin’ DIY

I use the term dumpster loosely.  It was actually bulk pick-up weekend.
I was on a run in the neighborhood below us and I noticed this little gem sitting by the side of the road, among other things. It was only missing a few pieces of hardware… knobs, shelving pegs, and a couple of screws.  Immediately I thought of a DIY rehab, but didn’t think I’d have the time or energy to take on this type of project right now.
I was kinda right. Except I was determined to finish it!  I even told Mike that if I didn’t start working on it the next day that we could put it right back out on the curb. 
His skepticism is what lit the fire, haha.  I spent several hours in the garage working on this baby…
I asked my neighbor if she’d go back down with me and pick it up in the van, and I snagged a few other items too!

I knew I wanted to go with what is in:  dark stained top coated in polyurethane for easy dusting and wipe downs, white chalk paint, lightly distressed and sealed with finishing wax plus some cute knobs.  Give the people what they want!  I just happened to be at SoHa the next day, a local store out here with super cute beachy things and ran across these knobs for $5 each.  I HAD to get them!
It was a good find, I’m not gonna lie.  I didn’t have to do to much as it was really solid to begin with.
I took the doors off and lightly sanded them.
Then I sanded the top of the stand with a medium then fine grit paper.
The wood grain looked super nice, and I was excited to stain it!
Not looking too shabby…
Ready for stain and paint!
We had this in the garage… we’ve used it on a bunch of stuff inside our house – pantry and closet shelving, stair railings, mirror frames, etc.
It goes on so beautifully… and I forgot to wear gloves… again.
Stain is done.
Then I painted.  I like working with chalk paint because it’s water based and if it gets too thick you can just add water and get the consistency you want.
I did two coats of white chalk paint.
Then I did a wax finishing paste all over the paint.  The chalk paint is a matte finish, so to protect it and give it a glossier feel I did the paste.  
I probably should have distressed the edges before this step, but that was a last minute decision.
Almost finished.
Then two coats of poly over the stain.
And voila!  Posted it on FB Marketplace on a Friday and sold this bad boy for $150 the next morning to someone who was super stoked that it matched her dining room table!!  I impressed myself, and got lucky… and that, my friends, is my Dumpster Dive DIY 🙂
Before and After…

No comments:

Post a Comment